Hailstorms and hurricanes can cause damage to your roof. Hailstones can damage shingles and vents. It is important after a hailstorm to check for roof damage. Damage to your roof can go undetected and cause further damage to your home. Hail damage roof repair costs can be expensive. Hiring a reputable contractor can make a big difference.
Hailstones can break windows. They can also damage siding. Hailstones can harm HVAC systems and pool equipment. Your roof, however, can take the brunt of the damage.
How to Spot Roof Damage Caused by Hail
Hailstorms can rip off shingles and beat your roof with tree branches. After a hailstorm hits your neighborhood, follow these steps to check for storm damage to your roof:
- Inspect your attic for leaks or water damage.
- If water stains appear on your ceiling or walls, you likely have roof damage.
- Check for missing shingles or pieces of metal on the ground.
- Check the condition of exhaust pipes, outer edges or angles where the roof meets the walls.
- If a tree has fallen on your house, you should hire a contractor to check for structural damage.
- Hail can also cause siding damage. Siding damage can look like dimples or holes in the siding.
After you’ve determined there is damage, or believe there is reason to hire someone to check for damage, you may be wondering, how much is this going to cost?
How Much Will my Roof Cost?
If you’ve discovered damage, you will want to get quotes to repair the harm. How much your new roof will cost depends on several factors. Things that impact the cost of a replacement roof include:
- The size of your house.
- Whether your house has high peaks or is relatively flat? Steep roofs take longer to replace. The increased time will equal higher cost.
- What is the current cost of materials? Some disasters can raise the cost of building supplies.
- Can contractors easily get on your roof, or are there other buildings or trees in their way?
- Where do you live?
- Do you have several chimneys and vents? Additional chimneys and vents increase the cost. There is flashing necessary around these items that increase the cost.
The cost of an asphalt and shingle roof replacement can vary. The average cost of a roof replacement is around $12,000. Of course, this price will vary depending upon the above factors.
When you are getting quotes for roof repair costs, do your research and hire a reputable contractor.